This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear, Thanks for the call.

Thanks Much for the call john, nice to here ya!. The tech 8 boots are a tuff one to break in and i have no real ride time as of yet too test them.
    Die trying,trying to Die.

Comment

Originally posted by the_grinch View Post
      sidi force mx boots

oh yeah!, they rock harder than if you took the DNA from every metal band ever, and combined them to make one super hard rocking metal band, and then took it to super hard metal band camp, and then had it mate with Dethklok to create the most mind bending super awesome metal band ever

and the Sidi Force boots would totally out rock that band,

totally
      No..You Rock!!!.
      Die trying,trying to Die.

Comment

Zumo 550

What a cool idea!!! Tie everything together through a GPS and link it all with BlueTooth!!! Sounds totally cool!! What's the catch, you ask??? It's a Beta Version. Here's the story...

I bought one of these wonderful units for $680. Of course I needed a mount that locks ($150), a special mount for my BMW ($50) and a special connector ($25). The unit comes with a RAM mount and everything you need to mount to a standard tubular bar. On bikes with a unique bar setup may have to invest like I did.

The new BMWs have a hookup for a Zumo 550 that is marketed as the BMW Navigator. Same unit, but the BMW one has a cool black case and costs about $300 more!!! It was very tempting. The BMW dealer tried to convince me that it was enhanced.. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. The updates for the BMW often come out up to months after the standard versions.

And of course, this device that is supposed to be built for motorcycles has some stupid anti-theft measures. One is a digital lock, similar to the cell phones. the other is a screw that you tighten with a 'special tool' in the top of the mount. Would it have been that much harder for a regular key guys!?

Now.. Assuming it works like it should it's pretty cool. No really. I dig it. However there are some drawbacks. It only has mono bluetooth. This means that even though it can broadcast MP3 (cool feature), it's limited to audiobook quality. It can sync with BlueTooth phones; however the phone must have the ability and no one at Garmin has told me what this ability is called. Even more, their list of usable phones, never seems to have the one I have, and is very limiting in the ones available.

It has an amazing POI listing with all contact information. POIs are very easy to locate and you can even call them with just one click. POIs can also be imported with Google Maps. Sadly, routes cannot (bastards!!! Google has better routing)

Cons... Their routing software has a lot to be worked on. It's good, but not the best out there. What is really annoying is the map software they make you use. It is so bad, I think they dug up the graves of the original punch card programmers to spin this out.

The thing has no internal memory. In this day and age, when you can put 32 gigs on a postage stamp, why the hell don't they just put it in the damn thing!!! Sure they give you a port to put in (up to) an 8gig card, but they could give us that as well. And why an 8 Gig limit!?

One more good thing is that Garmin support is fantastic!!! Sadly I know this because I am in constant contact with them. I have a personal relationship now with my support guy. I have returned it several times. I am on my third unit. They have been overnighting my units to me and are very good at diagnosing issues... This is assuming you bought it from a Garmin authorized dealer and you start your claims in the first 30 days... I was lucky that way.

the problems I have had had to do with the use of the MP3 and looking at the map. It would get stuck on the drawing screen. This is the most common issue with all units I have had.. Except this one for the moment.. I have had catastrophic failures and I think overheats.. I have had them work for short periods... Even more frustrating, when a lock up occurs at a time when the buttons are not initialized, you cannot force a reset unless you remove or wait till the battery dies. What idiot didn't put a hard reset button on it, or at least make the battery removable without tools. So if you get one use the shit out of it in the first month to be sure you got a good one.

This is a great Beta unit. however you'll want to get the next one.. Perhaps they'll get it right then.

I am sure there is more, please ask if you have any questions. It's our job as consumers to inform each other so only one of has to make the mistake of using a shitty product...

Comment

Helimot suits: Extremely well fit, very comfortable. If you crash you can get it repaired for a reasonable cost instead of just throwing it away like most suits. It's expensive as hell, so be prepared for that. Still, i'm extremely glad to be able to ride in one.

Daytona Big Rider GTX: Basically waterproof touring boots for tall fuckers. These work great, and it's nice to get home with dry feet after an hour long ride in the rain. Totally repairable by Helimot.

Daytona EVO Sports: Expensive as fuck, but every inch of the boot is replaceable/repairable (again, by helimot). I'm hoping that the cost will be amortized over 3 years, as I tend to destroy my boots on an annual basis.

Helimot "H-20" gloves: Kangaroo and kevlar. The padding on the back of the knuckles is pretty generous. Interestingly you can pump it full of water so it keeps your hands cool as you zip around. This was a huge help at fernley.

Scorpion EXO-1000: The dropdown visor is really pretty slick. They've added a flap to the bottom of the helmet to keep the wind from blowing straight up into your eyes. So far it's performed well in the rain. We'll see how it does this winter.

Yeah, i've turned into a helimot poster boy, but i'm getting real F$!@ tired of replacing my gear on an annual basis. Being able to have this stuff repaired is a big plus.
          "I love Satan and speedmetal" - Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by epim View Post
            Helimot suits:
            Daytona Big Rider GTX:
            Daytona EVO Sports:
            Helimot "H-20" gloves:
            Scorpion EXO-1000:
            Yeah, i've turned into a helimot poster boy, but i'm getting real F$!@ tired of replacing my gear on an annual basis. Being able to have this stuff repaired is a big plus.
            Cornell would be proud!
            http://www.jamescornellfund.org/

Comment

Scorpion EXO-1000: The dropdown visor is really pretty slick. They've added a flap to the bottom of the helmet to keep the wind from blowing straight up into your eyes. So far it's performed well in the rain. We'll see how it does this winter.
              Post winter update on the EXO-1000: Fuck scorpion. Fuck them in the ass.

Comment

why?
                "... if you let the fly live, the spider is going to die. You can't save both without one suffering.."
                "Taking on a vampire at night is a mission for morons and fools - which are you?"

"A storm is coming - our storm. And when it comes it will shake the universe."

sigpic
                Kralizec

Comment

the exo-1000 leaks in the rain, which made for an extremely lame ride back from LA a month or so ago. I've got all gore-tex gear, and having my helmet be the only place water gets in is extremely lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinger View Post
                    why?
                    Cause their "anti fog" visors aren't...

And they don't seal against the wind either...

But they're cheep and mostly light weight. I keep breaking the damned vent switches on mine... not that they do anything really.

.C
                    Ride More. Bitch Less.

Comment

i have had zero problems with my EXO-1000. Even in the rain, my dome stayed dry. and i don't understand the wind coming up from the chin area? i never get that on mine. Also the helmet quiets down my GP pipe to make riding the 22 bike everyday not only tolerable but actually quite nice.

thats my $.02
                      SETHZILLA!

"American by birth, CALIFORNIAN by the grace of God!"- Me

-" I am not leaving the forum, because it's my ultimate intent to drive the rest of you off so I'm the only one left.
                      "- Ziad

Comment

Originally posted by SETHZILLA! View Post
                        i have had zero problems with my EXO-1000. Even in the rain, my dome stayed dry. and i don't understand the wind coming up from the chin area? i never get that on mine. Also the helmet quiets down my GP pipe to make riding the 22 bike everyday not only tolerable but actually quite nice.

thats my $.02
                        Can you check something for me? Close your visor and look down between the visor and the rubber wiper. Is there a gap there, or does the wiper actually touch the visor all of the way across the top of the lid?

Comment

Selling my Aerostich Roadcrafter, it's a 42L Gray/Black with armor. Bought it in September.
                          Doesn't leak even at 150 in the pouring rain.
                          http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...p-1-c-249.html
                          Cashing Satan's checks with my dick in my hand.
                          Sometimes you gotta fuck a guy up and sometimes you gotta drink some chocolate milk.

Comment

Extremely broke right now. I'll weed your garden and wash your cat for it.
                            http://www.jamescornellfund.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
                              Extremely broke right now. I'll weed your garden and wash your cat for it.
                              Let me know when you're un-broke (you know I'll make you a deal).
                              Cashing Satan's checks with my dick in my hand.
                              Sometimes you gotta fuck a guy up and sometimes you gotta drink some chocolate milk.

Comment

Can you check something for me? Close your visor and look down between the visor and the rubber wiper. Is there a gap there, or does the wiper actually touch the visor all of the way across the top of the lid?
                                i'll do it tonight and get back to you
                                SETHZILLA!

"American by birth, CALIFORNIAN by the grace of God!"- Me

-" I am not leaving the forum, because it's my ultimate intent to drive the rest of you off so I'm the only one left.
                                "- Ziad

Comment

Working...
                                X